The Town & Village Renewal Scheme 2021 has just been advertised seeking expression of interest; submissions received will be shortlisted and the expressions of interest deemed most likely to be successful at Department assessment stage will be invited to provide a full application to the DRCD.
Full details of the scheme are available at https://www.tipperarycoco.ie/town-village-2021-expression-interest-call
This year the scheme outline may be summarised as follows:
- The Council can submit a maximum of 8 applications, at least 2 of which must be from towns or villages that have not previously benefitted from the scheme.
- This scheme invites applications from towns and villages with populations of up to 10,000 (in exceptional circumstances towns with a population of up to 15,000 will be considered new in 2021). At least 60% of the funding will be targeted at towns and villages with a population of up to 5,000 people.
- The projects should be capable of being delivered in 18 months from the date of approval.
We will submit
- 4 Standard Scheme projects with a funding range of €20,000-€100,000 and 90% grant funding (up to a max of €100,000). If you wish to apply for this please use the 2021 TV Expression of Interest form Main Scheme by 12:00 pm on the 25th June 2021.
- 2 Standard Scheme projects with a funding range of €20,000-€250,000 and 90% grant funding (up to a max of €250,000). If you wish to apply for this please use the 2021 TV Expression of Interest form Main Scheme by 12:00 pm on the 25th June 2021.
- 1 Standard Scheme project with a funding range of €20,000-€500,000 and 90% grant funding (up to a max of €500,000). If you wish to apply for this please use the 2021 TV Expression of Interest form Main Scheme by 12:00 pm on the 25th June 2021.
-1 Project Development measure * projects with a funding range of €20,000-€50,000 and 90% grant funding (up to a max of €50,000) If you wish to apply for this please use the 2021 TV Project EOI form by 12:00 pm on the 25th June 2021.
*Development costs for one strategic large scale project that may be subsequently progressed with funding from the Town & Village Renewal Scheme e.g. detailed design, preparation for the planning and/or procurement, appropriate assessment etc.
What projects will be eligible under the main scheme?
The following indicative list of activities that may be funded under the 2021 Scheme and how they will be prioritised (the list is not exhaustive).
Priority A1 Projects
- Projects that bring vacant and derelict buildings and sites back into use as multi-purpose spaces and/or for residential occupancy. This includes former state owned property that is no longer being used and is made available to the community. Multi-purpose use includes enterprise spaces, arts, tourism, youth hubs and other community uses.
- Projects that bring vacant properties in Town Centres back into use as Remote Working Hubs. This also includes funding for the repurposing of existing community or publicly owned buildings in town or village centres to facilitate remote working. Successful applicants who receive funding for remote working facilities will be required to commit to a three year membership of the National Hub Network.
Priority A2 Projects
- Regeneration projects that support active and vibrant town and village centres; these projects should be identified in town and village masterplans (or similar) developed in collaboration with the local community, businesses and the other relevant stakeholders in the town or village. (Footpath development/improvement projects or similar will not be supported as these can be financed by Local Authorities directly or through the Active Travel Investment Programme.)
- Projects to support the upgrade and enhancement of shopfronts and street facades in towns and villages. Local Authorities are encouraged to engage with local businesses and property owners to examine how group projects can add colour and vibrancy to main streets and improve the aesthetic of town centres. This may also be through support for appropriate murals.
- Projects to develop parks, green spaces and recreational amenities in town centres to make them vibrant hubs for community enjoyment, and to increase footfall for local businesses. Only applications for funding for public or community owned or leased properties and/or lands will be considered. Projects must be located in the town or village centre.
- Marketing campaigns targeted at attracting remote workers and mobile talent to their county/region; and promotion of specific town/villages to attract new customers and/or business investment.
- Projects that support and enhance the night-time economy in line with emerging recommendations from the Night-Time Economy Taskforce.
Priority B Projects
Other projects that may be supported but of a lower priority under the 2021 scheme:
- Targeted actions to support town centre enhancement (addressing minor deficiencies in access, services or site development works (including housing or commercial development as part of an overall enhancement plan
- Conducting /commissioning Town or Village Health Checks.
- Projects that demonstrate a REDZ-type component, to stimulate economic activity between a town/village and neighbouring townlands or hinterlands
- Car parking improvements expressly designed to increase footfall in town centres.
- Town safety and accessibility enhancements (Note: Footpath and cycle routes in towns and villages should be funded under the Active Travel funding from the National Transport Authority).
- Enhancement of heritage assets located in towns and villages, including energy efficiency measures.
- Development of quality marks such as Purple Flag, Heritage Town, etc
The Council is asking Community & Social Enterprise groups across the county to bring forward details of any project which the Council could consider for submission to the Department of Rural and Community Development, under the criteria of the 2021 Scheme.
It is expected that the scheme will be oversubscribed and that shortlisting will need to be undertaken. The shortlisting process will refer to the terms of the scheme and suggest the projects most likely to obtain funding be invited to the full application stage of the process.
How to express an interest?
Please submit your proposal using the Expression of Interest template by 12:00 noon on the 25th June 2021 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post to:
Town & Village Renewal Scheme 2020, Community & Economic Development Section, Tipperary County Council, Ballingarrane House, Cahir Road, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, E91 E183.
Full details of the Call for Expressions of Interest and the Expression of Interest template to be completed are available