Family is important to people everywhere. Families experience good moments as well as challenging times. Families need to support one another as never before.
This Lent the parish invites you to join with families locally in reflecting on how that support can be found through sharing experience, through our faith, and through the inspiration of Pope Francis’s writing on this vital area.
Come along with a friend to either venue over the three weekly gatherings:
Dualla School: Tuesdays 13, 20, 27 March (7.30 – 9pm).
Boherlahan School: Wednesdays 14, 21, 28 March (7.30 – 9pm).
Some of the topics addressed in Week 1 are:
1. The equal dignity of men and women facilitating a sharing of roles and responsibilities.
2. Stresses on family life caused by unemployment, the pace of modern living, lack of suitable housing and poverty.
3. The values and dangers of social media.
4. The important role that grandparents play in handing on the faith.
Some of the topics addressed in Week 2 are:
1. We are made for relationship, to love and be loved.
2. The Sacrament of Marriage symbolises a couple’s public commitment to one another and through it a couple receives God’s grace to sustain them.
3. Permanence and exclusivity is countercultural in a world that values material things.
4. The couple that gives birth to new life is a living image of God who is the source of all life.
5. Pope Francis commends families who care for their elderly relatives and family members with special needs.
6. Jesus always preached a Gospel of Mercy and no one was outside his love.
7. There is no perfect family, but there are many great families.
Some of the topics addressed in Week 3 are:
1. Everyone is included in God’s love and mercy, regardless of marital status, gender, colour, age or social status.
2. The Church upholds the ideal of marriage as a committed, permanent union between a man and a woman open to new life. However, the Church must also support families who do not match this ideal. There is good present even in imperfect situations.
3. The power of the Holy Spirit to influence people is immense, if we keep open channels of communication.
4. Our conscience has a defining role to play in our decisions by helping us hear the Gospel of Christ over the Gospel of the World.
5. The best preparation for marriage happens in childhood through life in a loving family.
6. Marriage is a lifelong commitment based on mutual love.