We are privileged to live on an island with an abundance of water to enjoy and we are spoilt with the choice of water activities It is critical that we respect the water and know how to be safe around, on and in the water.
- Check weather, water conditions and tides before going on or in the water
- Let someone know where you are going and what time you expect to be back
- Do not go alone, even if whoever you bring doesn’t get on or in the water
- Have a method of calling for help. In emergency call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coast Guard
- Use an appropriate lifejacket or buoyancy aid if you are doing activities on the water
- Ensure you are visible in the water and do not go in or on the water during reduced light
- Do not use inflatable toys in open water
If you see somebody in trouble on the water or along the coast dial 112/999 or use VHF Ch 16 and ask for the Coast Guard.